Excerpted from Loveyourlandscape.org
Serpico strives to keep the landscaping appointments of all our retail and corporate facilities well-managed and attractive — and our designs may also help to improve your commercial property safety too. Beautiful colors, textures, and an array of plant heights delight the eyes and bid a warm welcome to visitors.
The benefits these plants offer, however, is much more plentiful than their simple beauty…they can also help improve safety and welfare while they minimize risk.
Serpico Takes Good Care of All Your Property’s Landscaping Safety Needs
As a full-service SF Bay Area firm, Serpico Landscaping’s corporate and commercial realty accounts enjoy total commercial design, irrigation, and maintenance services — and we handle tree care maintenance for truck clearances — plus improved lines of sight; stump removal and pathway repairs for obstacle-free grounds; and landscaping lighting ideas for safety and surveillance. Our renowned water savings planning saves your enterprise money and water, which, among many other benefits, minimizes sprinkler run-off so walkways are not slippery.
Here Are 7 Basic Ways Landscape Design Can Improve Your Building’s Safety
Serpico Landscaping is happy to offer you these tips to help bolster your commercial realty’s safety. Talk to your Branch Manager to implement any new ideas you see below as you discover how our unique landscaping designs may also improve security measures and safety:
- Direct safe traffic and pedestrian flow. Shrub lines along walkways, well-placed arbors, and other landscape features can help make it clear to clients exactly where they are supposed to enter your building. Properly designed landscapes perform this function while allowing clear lines of vision necessary for safe and efficient traffic and pedestrian movement. Landscaped areas used by people should be free of low limbs, thorn-bearing plants, overgrown shrub beds or tripping hazards such as pot holes, irrigation heads, unhealthy oaks close to your building that needs tree removal from parking lots or plant stumps.
- Light up the night. Good outdoor lighting accents design elements and focal points in the landscape but it is also functional, lighting paths and walkways and entrances.
- Manage drainage and run-off flows. Lawns and landscaped areas naturally absorb and slow down run off, but when storms hit, your building can be deluged with rain that can be a hazard for clients. As we enter our possibly sixth year of the California drought…more than likely your Serpico team has already worked with you to create good drainage and run-off options that minimize hazards caused wet or muddy walks, driveways or parking lots.
- Decrease crime. A number of studies point to the fact that areas with more trees have less crime. Recently researchers from the University of Vermont did a study of Baltimore’s tree canopy and found that a 10 percent increase in tree cover yielded at least a 12 percent decrease in crime. Landscapes can also be designed to enhance visual security where camera surveillance is appropriate. Talk to our Serpico Tree Care division to learn more.
- Reduce fire hazard. Properly designed landscapes can provide fire breaks, alternative water sources, and drivable green spaces that allow access for emergency vehicles in the event of fire.
- Keep people away from certain areas. If you have areas that you want to keep people away from, for instance, first floor windows, or ground level items like electrical and telecom boxes, dense landscape can be used in place of fencing.
- Create waiting areas. Customers, clients, employees and visitors need places to get out of the sun and rest. If your building is near a bus or shuttle stop, it helps to give people a place to wait, otherwise they may gather inside your building or make a path across your lawn or landscape. Benches and tables and chairs in shady areas in and around your property are a good option.
Take note if any of these ideas above are worth a chat with your Serpico representative as landscaping design concepts to present to your board or landscaping design committee team. Form, function and security all go hand-in-hand to offer your community optimal commercial property safety…as well as landscape designs that are drought-tolerant, water-saving and beautiful to enjoy!